- A GIS Software enables the storage, retrieval, management, and analysis of all geographic data through maps and graphic tools to provide useful location information. Compare the best GIS software currently available using the table below.
- GIS is the acronym of graphical information system. GIS is a sophisticated mapping technology that provides users with location-based data. It also allows users to organize, display and identify the patterns that remain hidden.
- Pandell GIS offers a complete mapping solution leveraging Esri GIS technology to help you manage your land assets. It fully integrates with Pandell LandWorks, land management software, to create a visual representation synchronized to your land rights data.
GIS software’s basic purpose is to develop, analyze and store geographical and spatial data of any kind.
GIS software can be used in the production of various kinds of geographic information like maps. It can be a valuable tool for an organization which wants to display spatial data. GIS software stores data in the form of lines and points.
Esri’s GIS mapping software is the most powerful mapping & spatial analytics technology available. Learn how businesses are using location intelligence to gain a competitive advantage. Apr 12, 2021 A geographic information system (GIS) is a system designed to capture, store, manipulate, analyze, manage, and present all types of geographical data. The key word to this technology is Geography – this means that some portion of the data is spatial. In other words, data that is in some way referenced to locations on the earth.
Check all tools discussed here in detail and think about your needs. By the end of this article, you’ll know exactly which one is right for you.
The most important thing for a GIS software is its relational database – it helps in the development of the final image. Maptitude has a strong relational database which can be used by developers.
Other features of Maptitude are explained below
- The software allows the easy creation of a customized map view which can be used for presentation.
- Another feature of the software is its explicit control of factors like scale.
- Layer control is extensive in Maptitude, allowing control of color and fonts in the layers. It also allows changes in the scale of the layer according to the main scale.
- Geocoding is simple as the software allows pinning of multiple geocodes without any hassles.
- The price of the software starts at $695 and can vary depending on the number of users that will be working with the software.
2. Cadcorp’s Mapping GIS solution
CadCorp offers a range of solutions to meet the GIS requirements of organizations. Two top tools offered by them include Cadcorp's spatial information system (CadSIS) and MapExpress.
While CadSIS is a software that can be utilized for the building of maps, MapExpress is the free counterpart that can be utilized for reading the maps.
Following are the major feature of the software CadSIS
- CadSIS comes with a host of developer features for the desktop version which allows for easy creation and configuration of maps.
- The software also allows organizations to select a server for the storage and retrieval of data depending on their budget.
- The product comes with many extensions which can be used for different purposes like address mapping, loading of the Gazetteer data, editing of spatial metadata etc.
- This Software has been utilized by both the government and the private sector for their GIS needs.
3. ESRI’ ArcGIS
This GIS software by ESRI comes with a host of solutions which can be utilized by any organization and can be customized according to its needs. It includes a desktop version, a server version, a developer version, and solution tools.
It is the perfect choice for many companies and has been adopted by many governments. Some examples where the software is being used include the transportation system, natural hazards, voting system and more.
The following features make it perfect for many uses:
- The software allows for easy development of maps using existing databases which can take input in 70 different forms.
- ESRI’s desktop version allows geocoding of information.
- Information in maps developed using this software can be customized.
- Last but not least, the software allows users to customize information according to client needs.
4. Cartographica’s MacGIS
While the software discussed above are mainly for Windows, Cartographica is the perfect solution for Mac. The software starts at $495 and comes with a range of features that can be utilized by developers.
Some of the best features of the software include:
- Flexible import of data allows for the use of a wide range of files for conversion in maps making life easier for developers.
- Like Windows software, Cartographica allows customization of map views. Touch ups are possible directly on the map.
- In order to help developers, the software allows undoing which erases changes and brings back the original file. This nullifies the fear of rework because of mistakes.
- The software allows simultaneous browsing of maps and data.
Integraph is a range of services offered by Hexagon Safety and Infrastructure. It is made for governments and the private sector.
Following are the major features offered by Integraph:
- It has Computer Aided Dispatch for the mapping of incidents. It allows handling and dispatch during specific incidents along with field mapping and data reporting.
- This software has Integraph’s G/Technology. It uses GIS software to present location-based information about different areas to clients and customers.
- Integraph Networks allows the enterprise to access data for location-based engineering across the organization.
EasyTrace software is another GIS solution which comes in both Free and Pro versions. Its downloadable format is perfect for all kinds of GIS-related needs. While basic features like viewing and geocoding are available in the Free version, the Pro version has many additional features which are listed below.
- The software allows for image processing customization according to the needs of the user.
- Automatic tracking and object recognition are two tools which save a lot of time and make life easier for the developer.
- Editing or Touchup is possible in the Pro version of the software.
- Ease of operator’s work is the highlight of the whole software.
- It allows the use and development of vector images.
7. ClarkLab’s TerrSet
ClarkLab is another company which offers a top GIS software solution to its customers. The company’s software, also known as TerrSet, uses IDRSI tools and has a host of useful features.
The major features of the software are:
- The software comes with around 300 analytical tools which make analysis of information easy.
- It has an inbuilt image processing system to enhance, restore, transform or classify remote images.
- Climate change modelling and earth trend modelling are possible with the help of tools supplied by this software.
- GeOSIRIS allows maps to see the impact of national level REDD programs.
8. Bentley Maps
Bentley Maps is a 2-D and 3-D solution by Bentley Company. The software comes with a variety of features which are designed to make the process of GIS mapping thorough yet easy.
- The software can be used to read engineering and survey data to automatically create a 3D version of any map.
- Allows analysis in 2D as well as 3D for maps.
- Bentley allows the development of analysis tools in C/C++ language if required. Also, this powerful tool makes the customization process easier.
- It allows for publishing of cartographic maps which are readable and understandable by the general public. They can be directly printed with the help of the software.
- Raster data can be analyzed and manipulated using this software. It can be used to add visual effects to existing projects.
9. Map Business Online
Map Business is an online mapping software for businesses which allows the them to use maps and spatial distribution for different purposes.
Various features offered by the software include:
- The Business Map Visualization solution allows mapping of different branches, customers and competitors with ease.
- Sales territory mapping is another useful feature.
- Map Business Online provides updated street data and other information required for GIS display of mapping.
- The software allows route optimization for better planning of client visits.
eSpatial is an online mapping tool which can be used to develop maps without any hassles. The best thing about it is that it can directly convert Excel sheets into geographical map points.
- The software allows for collaboration of different people in the development of maps.
- It also helps in the sharing of maps privately or via online channels.
- Printing is one of the options that is available in the software. High-resolution images of embedded maps can be easily printed out for future use.
- It can be used to develop routes, territory maps, color coding of areas, heat maps etc. These functions ensure that the software can serve almost every purpose of the organization.
In the current times, GIS software is essential for most organizations. Whether it be locating different warehouses, competitors or assessing the effect of a specific change, GIS software can be quite helpful in any business.
The software discussed above is the best in the industry. As you choose keep in mind the particular needs of your business.
You May Also Like:-
A Geographic Information System (GIS Software) is designed tostore, retrieve, manage, display, and analyze all types ofgeographic and spatial data. GIS software lets you producemaps and other graphic displays of geographic information foranalysis and presentation.
AdMaptitude is the lowest-priced,easiest-to-use professional GIS software available. For moreinformation about Maptitude please visit our MaptitudeMapping Software pages. Otherwise, please read on to explorethe GIS capabilities of Maptitude.
What is GIS Mapping Software?
GIS software lets you produce maps and other graphic displays ofgeographic information for analysis and presentation. With thesecapabilities a GIS is a valuable tool to visualize spatial data or tobuild decision support systems for use in your organization.
A GIS stores data on geographical features and their characteristics.The features are typically classified as points, lines, or areas, or asraster images. On a map city data could be stored as points, road datacould be stored as lines, and boundaries could be stored as areas, whileaerial photos or scanned maps could be stored as raster images.
Geographic Information Systems store information using spatial indices that make it possibleto identify the features located in any arbitrary region of a map. Forexample, a GIS can quickly identify and map all of the locations withina specified radius of a point, or all of the streets that run through aterritory.
In addition to the above capabilities, Maptitude implements aprofessional-strength relational database, a feature critical for GISsoftware. Attribute data may be freely joined to and detached fromgeographic layers and tables. Relational data manipulation is integratedwith robust and powerful geoprocessing for spatial queries, polygonoverlay, and other location-based analyzes. This is supported seamlesslyso that data are moved easily to and from relational tables andgeographic databases. In addition, the Maptitude fixed-format binarytable supports 32,767 fields and 1 billion records, and has unlimitedcharacter field widths.
VIDEO: Learn what Maptitude GISSoftware can do for you
List of GIS Software - List of Geographic InformationSystems Software - Developed by Caliper:
Geographic Information System Software Features
GIS Software Case Study
Maptitude is one of the most popular GIS software packages,and has extensive functionality. A list of typical GIScapabilities is presented below, and these are available inMaptitude:
Maps and Layers
- The Create-a-Map Wizard allows users to easily createpresentation-ready maps using their own data or the default maps
- The Display Manager allows a map to be customized on-the-fly
- User-defined preferences for map units, left/right side-of-roadrouting, file permissions, geocoding parameters,and many other settings
- Toolbox and mouse-based map navigation is supported and includespanning, zooming, and magnifying
- Map bookmark management allows the retrieval of custom map views
- Multi-layer map feature query tools allow direct interrogationof spatial locations
- A map librarian/manager allows the organization of various savedmaps and comes with a library of pre-styled demographic maps
- Geographic database layering controls allow customization oflayer visibility and drawing order
- Multiple maps can be open simultaneously, and can be duplicated,combined, synchronized, tiled, cascaded, and minimized/maximized
- There is explicit map scale control including undo
- Layer autoscaling allows customization of the scale at whichlayers are visible
- An interactive map overview window provides perspective as youwork and the ability to zoom anywhere in the study region
GIS Map Software
- Extensive layer style control includes font/style/opacitysettings for points/lines/areas/labels/legends/drawings; point andarea styles can use most image formats and their resolution can becontrolled via scaling
- Thematic visualizations include color, pattern/icon,dot-density, chart, scaled-symbol, and 3D prism themes
- A drawing toolbox is provided, the drawing items arecustomizable, and there is a selection of north-oriented arrows
- Each map has an editable legend that automatically listsdisplayed features and has a live scale bar
- Stand-alone charting capabilities include pie, bar, line, area,scatter, radar, histogram, box plot, and function charts
- Advanced text label placement and management tools include livelabel manipulation en-masse or individually, automated positioning,callouts/rotation, font control, multi-line, framing, hiding,styling, prioritizing, stretching, spacing, autoscaling, andadditional text manipulation settings
- Maps and graphics can be copy/pasted or saved aspictures/bitmaps (with optional quality/resolution settings) forinsertion into MS Office and other external applications
- Printing to any printer/paper size is supported, with a widevariety of spatial print options including using fixed scale, withactual point sizes, and as pre-rendered images
- Report/layout creation can utilize settings for snap grids,rulers, paper size/orientation, dimensions, margins, alignment,print options, automated district printing, and a variety of othergraphics software oriented options
- Map interaction can be recorded to video
- Layer style/label/autoscale override is provided through theFeature Display tool
- Cartographic coloring uses Brelaz's Dsatur algorithm to assigncolors that ensure that no two adjacent regions have the same color
- The tabular and geographic find tool can identify locationsanywhere on earth
- Robust and flexible pin-mapping tools support geocoding byaddress, postal code, city/town, join, coordinate,longitude/latitude, by any populated place in the world (village,town, city), and also manually
- Custom geocodable indexes can be created to pin-map based onexternal datasets
- Geotagged images from smart phones, tablets, or GPS-enableddevices can be mapped
GIS Mapping Tools and Geographic Analysis
Geographic analysis tools are themost valuable component of GIS software because they let youanalyze the geographic components of your data. Below are someof the geographic analysis tools that are standard in Maptitude:
Territory Building Tools
Districts/Territories can be created using map-based filters or via tabular groupings
Circular buffers/bands for analyzing proximity
A facility location tool identifies the best location for one or more facilities from a set of candidate sites
Geographic overlay/aggregation is supported and allows attributeassignment between layers based on percentage overlap forestimating demographics of territories, buffers, areas ofinfluence, and more
Kernel-based density grids can be created using the quartic,triangular, uniform, or count methods, and allow 'hot-spot' mapping
Weighted center calculations allow the identification of centersof 'gravity' among points
The shortest path calculations allow for minimizing the cost ofthe path as an ordered/unordered route with options to producedirections and to return to the origin
Gis Software Free
Drive time/distance bands allow you to visualize the extent to which locations can be accessedwithin a certain drive time or distance
Drive time partitions allow regions across a line layer to be definedbased on network cost
A clustering tool groups points or areas into compactclusters, while placing optional constraints on the clusterssuch as maximum size or a balanced total field, such as Sales orPopulation
A balancing tool automatically creates territories that are balanced by a specific demographic
Routing Deliveries & Pickups
Routing tools optimize routes for several vehicles needing toreach many destinations for deliveries and pickups in fixed timewindows
Length/areameasurement tools allow map-based calculations
Desire lines (also known as spider diagrams) allow thevisualization of flows
Surface analysis tools include spot height data querying,surface profiling, viewsheds, contouring, 3D terrain visualization,DEM/TIN creation, and the calculation of terrain shortest paths
Data classification methods include: quantiles, equal weight,equal interval, standard deviation, nested means, arithmetic orgeometric progression, Fisher-Jenks/optimal breaks, categories, andmanual classification (by range, counts, or percentages)
Areas of Influence
Areas-of-Influence (also known as Thiessen Polygons or VoronoiDiagrams) are a powerful GIS tool that divide the study area using atriangulated irregular network (TIN)
GPS support includes the ability to read/animate/import GPSdata, overlay tracks with aerial photos and topographic orvector maps, track real time GPS locations, create vectorline/point layers from GPS playback files, and import/exportformats such as GPX (the GPS Exchange Format)
Spatial QueriesFilter features based on geographic location, proximity to otherfeatures, by radius, by pointing, by polygon, or based on avalue or condition.
Statistical AnalysisCompute summary statistics (sum, min, max, mean, standarddeviation), compute spatial autocorrelation, and create boxplots, histograms, and radar charts.
Internet MappingMap server products such as Maptitude for the Web and Cloud andSaaS location-based applications allow you to share your geographicdata as device independent and mobile-friendly interactive maps. Youcan also add mapping functions to your web site or web-based solutions,such as providing the public with access to assessor parcel maps andvaluation data.
Market Share (Huff Model)
Gis Software DeveloperMarket share analysis tools calculate your market share for an area byexamining how attractive your stores are compared to all competing stores.
- Image layer and aerial photo tools include registration, amanager/librarian, contrast control, smoothing (from 2x2 to 10x10)and interpolation (nearest neighbor, bilinear, high qualitybilinear, bicubic, high quality bicubic)
- The image servers supported are Google Earth and OGC Web Map Services (WMS)
- The Maptitude GIS program has a powerful proprietary relational database
- Support is provided for over 50 file types and more than 100 GISand CAD formats, some natively including Excel, MS Access, ODBC,dBase, CSV, ASCII, ArcGIS platform formats (Esri Shapefile andPersonal Geodatabase), MapInfoTAB, Oracle Spatial, and SQL Server Spatial
- Support is provided for exporting to many formats includingExcel, dBase, CSV, ASCII, Lotus, Google KML, ArcGIS platform formats (Esri Shapefile and ArcMap Document), MapInfo MIF, Oracle Spatial, SQL Server Spatial andAutoCAD DXF
- Table tools include the ability to transpose, group/aggregate,identify duplicates, calculate statistics, convertlongitude/latitude to XY coordinates, print mailing labels,copy/paste values, and perform undo/redo of edits
- Regression and binary logit models can be estimated on anymap layer or table
- Table field tools include the ability to hide, show, filter,lock, format, multi-field sort, create live expression/formulafields, and perform multi-cell fills
- Database modify tools include the ability to add/deleterecords/fields, delete filtered records, set aggregation rules,apply look-up table coding, and define field header balloon pop-uptext
- Database joins can be aggregate/non-aggregate and as one-to-one,one-to-many, or many-to-one joins
- Multiple filters per layer or database can be created using SQLtype queries, spatial queries (coincident, adjacent, within, andmany more), and data classification methods
- Topological/non-topological spatial databases can be created forpoints, lines, areas, or grids
- Topological/non-topological layer (line/point/area) editingtools include the ability to use digitizers, create one-way streets,copy and paste lines, merge/split features/attributes,add/delete/move features, line/area conversion, point-to-lineconversion, merging layers, clipping/masking geography byregion/area, and undo/redo of edits
- There is comprehensive projection, datum, and coordinate systemsupport both natively and via import/export, and this operates inconjunction with tools such as vector rubbersheeting and on-the-flyraster layer reprojection
- Any record can be linked to multiple files including photos,documents, web pages, and slide-shows
- The Geographic Information System Developer’s Kit (GISDK™)has 850+ Caliper Script functions that can be called to createadd-ins, build custom applications, and to access Maptitude from.NET or as a COM Object
Maptitude supports the latest Windows operating systems, file types, andcommon design elements. Maptitude runs as a 64-bit application on 64-bitWindows. Advantages of a 64-bit Maptitude include:
- Save to much higher resolution images
- Use more memory than the previous 4GB 32-bit limit
- Open/import files via 64-bit Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel and Access).
- Versions: Install on a local Windows device such as a PC orSurface Pro; Or install on a Citrix or Terminal Services serveror on a Windows device when accessing the software via RemoteDesktop Protocol (RDP) or Remote Desktop Services (RDS).
- Desktop or laptop computer running 64-bit Windows 10, 8.1, or 8
- Internet connection for download
- Hardware: 4GB of RAM (8GB of RAMprovides optimal performance for users with very large datafiles.) 10 GB of storage space for data. More space will berequired to save the maps and files created.
Mapitude costs US$695 for a 10-year license. US$395 annually for optional upgrades.
- Better see the information and trends hidden in yourgeographic data, tables, spreadsheets, and databases
- Perform geospatial analysis: Create 3-D maps, heat maps,territories, drive-time rings, hot-spots, charts, and reports
- Import, analyze, segment, and report on data in almost anyformat
- Use location intelligence to filter and categorize data
- Print, export, manage, share, and use location-based resultsto develop improved efficiencies and cost savings
What is GIS software?
Examples of GIS software applications
US Census GISGeography
Learn more about Maptitude
Maptitude mapping software solutions:
|Maptitude Reviews and Testimonials|