|Initial release||August 2008; 12 years ago|
11.9 / 3 April 2021; 16 days ago
|Operating system||Windows, Linux, macOS|
|Type||File synchronization utility|
FreeFileSync 11.9 is available to all software users as a free download for Windows. As an open source project, you are free to view the source code and distribute this software application freely. The program was created by the developer as a freeware product, but donations for the continued development are highly appreciated. FreeFileSync is a free, open source folder comparison and synchronization software for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. It also works on 64-bit operating systems on all platforms. The program can be installed in two versions: as a standard installer on Windows or as a portable application (no registry entries). FreeFileSync Free data backup software to synchronize files and folders Brought to you by: zenju. As of 2018-05-01, this project can be found here. Downloads: 245 This Week Last Update: 2020-09-02. This project uses a 3rd-party installer, its contents have not been scanned.
FreeFileSync is a free and open-source program used for file synchronization. It is available on Windows, Linux and OS X. The project is backed by donations. Donors get a few additional features such as an auto-updater, parallel sync, portable version, and silent installation. It has received positive reviews.
Download FreeFileSync - FreeFileSync is a free and Open Source folder comparison and synchronization tool.
FreeFileSync works by comparing one or multiple folders on their content, date or file size and subsequently synchronizing the content according to user-defined settings. In addition to supporting local file systems and network shares, FreeFileSync is able to sync to FTP, FTPS, SFTP and MTP devices.
Earlier versions were packaged with OpenCandy, an adware module which many antivirus software vendors classify as malware.
Since the release of version 10.0 in April 2018, the software is ad-free. In November 2018 Norton wrongly considered FreeFileSync installer as a malware and blocked its installation.
FreeFileSync is available for 32bit and 64bit operating systems.As of May 2020 the then current version 10.23 of FreeFileSync supported the following operating systems and versions:
- Windows 10 down to Windows 7.
- MacOS 10.15 'Catalina' down to Mac OS X 10.8 'Mountain Lion'
- On Linux many well-known distributions are supported. The web site cites CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Mint, SUSE and Ubuntu.
Older operating systems
Support for Windows Vista and XP ended with FreeFileSync_v10.11.The latest release compatible with Mac OS X 10.7.5 is FreeFileSync_8.4_Mac_OS_X.Older versions are still available on the project website.
- ^'Release 11.9'. 3 April 2021. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- ^'FAQ: Donation Edition'. freefilesync.org.
- ^Akerlund, Geoff (10 March 2014), FreeFileSync comes bundled with the OpenCandy malware, and there's no option to not install it., Backup Review, retrieved 2 February 2018
- ^Richards, Gizmo (16 April 2017), Controversial Advertising Program Now Being Embedded in More Software, Tech Support Alert, retrieved 2 February 2018
- ^PUP.Optional.OpenCandy, Malwarebytes, retrieved 3 February 2018
- ^OpenCandy, Sophos, retrieved 3 February 2018
- ^ADW_OPENCANDY, Trend Micro, retrieved 3 February 2018
- ^Virustotal analyses of OpenCandy, Virus Total, retrieved 3 February 2018
- ^Brinkmann, Martin (3 May 2018). 'FreeFileSync 10.0 updates removes ads from installer'. ghacks.net. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- ^'My virus scanner/firewall shows a scary warning. Is there a virus, malware, or trojan?'. freefilesync.org.
- ^List of supported operating systems https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#operating-systems
- ^Archive of old versions of the software https://freefilesync.org/archive.php